From inside (document excerpt):
User and Operator’s Manual for 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 and 2000 Mercedes-Benz W202. Models: C 230, C 280, C 36 AMG and C 43 AMG.
Drive Sensibly – Save Fuel
Fuel consumption, to a great extent, depends on driving habits and operating conditions. To save fuel you should:
• keep tires at the recommended inflation pressures,
• remove unnecessary loads,
• remove roof rack when not in use,
• allow engine to warm up under low load use,
• avoid frequent acceleration and deceleration,
• have all maintenance work performed at regular intervals by an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer.
Fuel consumption is also increased by driving in cold weather, in stop-and-go traffic, on short trips and in hilly country.
What You Should Know at the Gas Station
To prevent fuel vapors from escaping into open air, fully insert filler nozzle unit. Only fill fuel tank until the filler nozzle unit cuts out – do not overfill. Leaving the engine running and the fuel cap open can cause the “Check Engine” lamp to illuminate. Use premium unleaded gasoline: Posted Octane Index 91 (Average of 96 RON/86 MON). Fuel tank capacity approx. 16.4 US gal (62.0 I).
This includes approx. 2.1 US gal (8.0 I) reserve.